Pages


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Late January


January is typically a slow time on the farm, so there is not much new to report. Days are spent making sure everyone has food and water and a clean dry place to lay down.

This is also a good time for me to spin, dye and knit yarn, as well as send more raw fiber off to the mill to be processed into "roving". Roving is fiber that has been readied for hand-spinning.

Once I have roving, I can sell it to spinners, I can dye it and sell it, or I can spin it myself. I usually do all 3. The photo above is some of my alpaca roving that I dyed this month. I called that colorway "Fruit Salad".

I have also been working on knitting up some small items using yarn I already have spun up to sell and or give as gifts.

Sam and I took a few days off last week to go to western New York and go skiing. We met my brother and his family and my eldest son and his girlfriend there. Then we drove on up to Buffalo and had dinner with our younger son. Family time is important. I hadn't skied in about 7 years, but it comes back. I'm just glad I keep in shape with my daily hikes up over the hills with the dogs, even in unpleasant weather!

We had a pond put in right before Labor Day this year and it is finally full. We got a good bit of rain this past week which topped it off. Watch for photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment