Pages


Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in 2011!


Check out what I got for Christmas!  It just goes to show a girl should NEVER tell her husband she wants to learn to use the chainsaw.  Next think ya know, he's buying one in her size!

Seriously though, it is nice to have one that is smaller than either of the ones Sam uses.  I don't plan to be cutting down any trees, but it will be nice not to have to rely on Sam when a tree is down on a fence or across a path.  Plus, I got him a MOP for Christmas! 

So it is now  2011.  Do you prefer to say Twenty Eleven or Two thousand eleven?  I myself prefer the latter.  twenty eleven sounds goofy to me.

After a downright frigid December, 2011 has arrived with very warm temps and rain.  Of course to the alpaca farmer this means MUD and suddenly thawed POOP!  Two of my least favorite things.  It's kind of nice when the ground is frozen because all the mess is also frozen and I have better things to do than chip at frozen poop with a shovel, so my theory is that it will still be there once it thaws out.  Boy do I regret it then!  This is when I am thankful to have lots of sawdust to spread in the barn to sop up the wet stuff which was previously frozen. 

Summer kitchen soon-to-be Fiber Studio
The warm weather also means I was able to finish painting the shelves in my soon-to-be fiber studio.  I may have mentioned previously that I am renovating what was once a summer kitchen into a studio.  Actually, it was a summer kitchen when we moved here 12 1/2 years ago and then it became a catch-all, mostly filled with bags of alpaca fiber waiting to be skirted, sold or processed.  I spent a whole weekend cleaning it out and going through all the fiber and deciding what would become rug yarn and what would be sold to spinners, etc. 

This little building sits just outside our kitchen door and the studio part of it is about 10 X 12.  The far left side is actually an outhouse Sam added on a couple years after we moved in.  It is right above the line to the septic tank and since we had only 1 bathroom, it seemed handy to have a second.  It flushes and everything.  It is "seasonal" however.  But it is great not to have to go into the house in the summer when you are outside working and have muddy shoes on and nature calls.  

Anyway, back to the studio.  2 walls inside were lined with shelves which the former owners used for canned good storage (there was NO storage in my kitchen when we bought the place).  These shelves were narrow, about 8" wide.  Not good for storing fleeces, etc.  So, I tore out the shelves along the long wall and moved them over in front of the shelves on the 10' wall and while there is a gap between the 2, I now have shelves that are almost 20" deep.  Perfect for fleece storage!
Under construction
I have also put up 1" foam insulation on 2 walls and put it in as a drop ceiling after Sam installed 2  6" X6" pine beams.  I will be able to put pegs or nails in the beams and hang small baskets or herbs or whatever.  And they hold up the insulationOnce Sam puts in a small window in the front (where the wreath is in the photo) I will insulate the front wall as well and then I plan to use old barn siding as panelling on the front and back walls.    Sam has already put in a small gas heater for me.  I haven't really decided what to do with the floor yet. 

I will have room in here to skirt fleeces and I will move my drum carder out here, as well as a lot of my fiber tools which currently share the sunporch on the front of the house with the winter's firewood.  My wheels will stay in the house.  I would like to put in a countertop on hinges that I can use when I am dyeing so I don't have to make such a mess in my kitchen, and maybe even a small microwave.  The possibilities are limited only by the 10' X 12' space!!

Krista with Tigger:  I can't believe I still have this cat!
Speaking of dyeing, I had a nice visit after Christmas from my mother and she brought along my 2 nieces.  Krista, my brother Mike's daughter is in college and likes getting away at the farm.  Haley, is 11 and is my brother Larry's daughter and this was only the second time she has been here without her parents.  We are both hoping she can come for a longer visit this summer.  

To further the efforts of all fiber-holics to keep the addiction alive, I introduced Haley to  dyeing and then felting.  I had some carded batts of 75% alpaca/25% blue faced leicester (breed of sheep) and I had her pick 4 colors of dye and away we went!  
Haley with her dyed batts


After the batts were dyed, Haley felted around a bar of goat's milk soap and I sent her home with the rest of her batts and a few bars of my friend Tari's homemade goat soap.  It was  a great, fun, easy and clean project.  Awesome to do with kids.

Haley with her felted soap.
Haley's color choices were so good I decided to use the leftover dyes to dye some of the same batts to spin some sock yarn for Michelle, Ian's girlfriend.  I had sent her a skein of my white mill-spun yarn for Christmas and she said she wanted to use it for socks.  I told her it was probably not a good choice since it was a very soft 2-ply and it would wear through in the heels and toes in no time.  So I told her I would spin her up a 3-ply sock yarn and she said she likes jewel colors.  I had hoped for more green, but ya just never know how these colors will come out!   This is the single prior to plying.  I have a pair of socks made from this blend and they are wonderful!  I hope Michelle likes the yarn.  

I have also been weaving more rugs.  I have 2 finished on the loom and enough warp to do one more before I take them off the loom.  I think the next one will be a 3' X 5' in black and grey and white for my computer room which has a gorgeous hickory hardwood floor made and installed by Sam from a tree on our own property.  

Happy New Year to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment