Pages


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reunion Weekend

Rowdy has "Treed" a squirrel!
While it was a busy week as usual, I don't have a lot to write about.  I spent so much time preparing to have 5 of my high school friends in for the weekend that not much else got done.

I will start off by updating you on the chickens that were attacked by a stray dog last week.  There was one I was quite sure was not going to make it.  She was favoring one leg quite a bit and spent 2 nights sleeping on the floor of the chicken coop.  Chickens invariably fly up onto a place to roost off the ground at night, so seeing her flat in a corner was a concern.  She did not leave the coop for 2 days.  The attack was Monday, and by Thursday, she was coming outside and was back up on the roost for the night.    Here she is just this morning.  You can see where her tail is all white and that is because she has none of her outer tail feathers left, just the white downy under-feathers.  There is also a patch on her breast.   She is still limping, but it is almost imperceptible now.  I have to say I am amazed at how resilient these birds are!  Another one of the "girls" is also missing a large number of tail feathers, but that was the extent of her injury.  There is so little actual bird under all those feathers,  I think it is kind of a defense.  Many predators will get a mouthful of feathers and nothing else.  So the chicken news is good.


On Friday, 5 of my friends from high school arrived for the weekend.  I went to school over near Cincinnati, and they all still live in that general area.  I lost track of several over the years and we reunited last year on Facebook and tried to get together at the farm last year, but it is hard to get 6 people together when they have jobs and families and other obligations.  But we did it this year!  It was great.  The weather was perfect.  We had so much catching up to do that we did not do much else besides talk (and eat).


Here I am on Friday evening with the atlas out showing them exactly where they are after their 4 hour drive across Ohio.  


We did manage to get up to the pond, but briefly.  As I said, most of the time was spent catching up.   And eating.     It was just perfect deck weather.


And we  all got together for a couple pictures on Sunday morning before everyone left.  Hopefully one of those will be sent to our alumni magazine.  Not much is ever in there from us "older" graduates anymore!



Anne & Ellen, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed some of your photos from Facebook. 

I would not hesitate to have everyone here again.  It was so much fun learning what old friends have been up to for 30 years.

There are 4 of us in the photo to the right.   Senior year in high school.  I'm the one sitting on the floor.


I have sent in my booth space fee to be a vendor at the Mid-Ohio Fiber Fair in Newark Ohio in August.  www.midohiofiberfair.com/   Until then, there is nothing really major coming up.  

I am still plugging away on the dog and cat satchel for our Basket Bingo Fundraiser which is  a week and a half away.  I WILL get it done.  It is somewhat tedious, though.  I had originally planned on making myself one after this one, but those plans are on hold.  Indefinitely.  We shall wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment