Pages


Thursday, March 27, 2014

Still Waitin'.......

Rowdy's favorite snooze spot in my loom room at the office
I wonder when spring will arrive.  And then I remember that this is how March is every year.  Those little teasers of warm weather that last a day or so and then WHAM, back to highs in the lower 30's.  I think it is hard to remember from year to year that March is unpredictable because we are so anxious for spring and warm weather.  I know it will get here.  I do. As a matter of fact, it is supposed to be in the 60's within the next few days.  April arrives on Tuesday.

But really, Saturday was great here.  Not exactly warm, but warm enough that I spent most of the day outside cleaning buckets and maple taps.  I have a few buckets that are still up at the pond to do, as well as the sap pan, but other than Saturday, the weather has not been conducive to washing things outside.  What has been great is the fact that we can now walk the dogs later in the day.  Last night I got home from the office around 5:30, had a bite to eat and then the dogs and I got in a good 3 mile walk in daylight.  We explored some new to us trails on the neighbor's property which adjoins ours.  It's really cool that there are several of us whose properties all adjoin and add up to about 400 acres.  And since all the guys like to ride 4-wheelers, they make trails, as does Sam, and everyone uses them.  Including me and my dogs.  Sam and I and our dogs are the only ones who walk, though.  Speaking of dogs, I think Grover and I will be starting agility classes this coming week in Parkersburg.   http://www.parkersburgotc.org/agility.html  This is where we did obedience last year.

On the farm, not much has changed.  The alpacas are so tired of eating hay that they abandon full hay feeders in favor of picking what little green they can find.  This morning, as I opened a gate to let them on a different field:
















I don't see any green out there, but they seem to. 






Last week I mentioned that the big drilling rig had been removed from the well pad up above our hayfield and it was quiet.  That did not last long.  All kinds of equipment has been moved in and the noise has escalated.  It sounds like jet engines going.  I am glad there is a hill between our house and the well site.  It helps to deaden the sound a bit. I have to say my curiousity is piqued and I would love to know exactly what is going on up there.  I need to go up by the pond with binoculars before the trees leaf out.

Sam's work on the kitchen is coming along.  He got all the drywall hung and has started the tape/mud/sand repeat...process.  He used the moisture resistant drywall which is why it is green.



 There is now insulation in those exterior walls which I hope will keep some of the flying wildlife from getting in: wasps and asian beetles.  Time will tell.

I have been keeping busy on the fiber front.  On Sunday I went to a baby shower for a family friend in Columbus with my mom.  I took a pair of handspun handknit alpaca baby booties as my gift.  I wish I had thought to take a photo, but I did not.  They were a big hit with the mother to be. 

 Here is another photo of the sweater I finished last week.  I would say Grover likes the sweater, but no, that is what he does no matter what I wear.  We need to work on that.  

I have mentioned a lace shawl I am knitting.  It is called Snow Angel http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snow-angel-4

 This is a close up shot of the detail.  I am about a third to halfway done with it.  I thought those beads would show up a little more than they do.  

I received my next pair of socks in the mail a couple days ago.  This is round 4.  I have not finished them yet, so will photograph next week.
 
 
I have also been spinning some fawn alpaca for the big woven blanket project, for which I will be spinning for the next year I think.  I have about a pound and a half of this fawn to spin and I am less than 3 oz in.  Ugh.  Beige.  Not very inspiring.  And I still have about 10 oz of it to card!  Once I get that carded, I have a brown fleece I have to wash.  I already spun a black fleece and I have white on the wheel here at my office.  I so enjoy spinning more when it is bright, fun colors.  But this is spinning for a purpose and even it will be easier once I can do it on the back deck!
 

1 comment:

  1. The sweater is beautiful. It makes my day when I open my Facebook and see your smile (and a Reeves!)

    ReplyDelete