Thursday, June 1, 2017

June So Soon?

Grover is doing is cat impersonation
Yes, it is now June.  We had a very rainy cool May and today is bright and sunny and quite nice.  

Today Sam is mowing the hay in our big creek bottom field.  It really could have been done a couple weeks ago, but he was in the process of getting ready to leave for a 9 day fishing trip, so it just had to wait.  This is how the field looked on Monday.  The grass is about as tall as the fence posts.  Today is Thursday and there is a chance for storms on Sunday, so here's hoping the hay will dry in a timely manner so it can be baled Saturday afternoon.  Sam is planning to round bale this.  My guess is I will be tedding hay tomorrow while he is at the office.

 Though they are done now, these irises were in full bloom last week.  They were given to me by a friend who is no longer with us, and I think of him every year when they bloom.  They are such a lovely deep shade of purple.

My garden is pretty much planted, which is nice.  Now for the weeding and watering.  I have been thinning the lettuce a little and adding it to the romaine that we over-wintered.  Fresh picked salads are wonderful.  

I did some mowing myself on Monday.  It took quite a while to get through the grass in the empty pasture across from Mom's house.

 Sam and I also sheared all three of our alpacas on Monday afternoon.  It is really different to only have three to do when we remember years we sheared 50 plus.  And these are all old ones that we have had for up to 17 years, so they know the drill and don't give us too much trouble.  I think getting ready to shear and then putting everything away afterward took longer than the actual shearing.

Sam had a nice fishing trip.  There is a lot of fish in my freezer, but we have not had any of it yet.  He brought home pike and wall-eye.  I prefer the wall-eye.  

While Sam was traveling home on  Saturday, my friend Tari and I drove to Wooster Ohio and attended the Great Lakes Fiber Festival.  The weather was wonderful and we saw some old friends and did a little shopping and I dropped off about 25 pounds of alpaca and wool fiber to have spun into yarn.  It was a very enjoyable day all around.

I finished weaving some 2 color napkins on my loom at home while Sam was gone and I have even gotten them hemmed and pressed.  I need to trim threads still, so I have not taken a finished photo.  They came out very nice and I have no idea what I will do with them.  I am starting some throw pillow covers on my big loom, though having some trouble with it since I seem to be missing a crucial piece of the pattern.  I have asked for help online and hopefully someone can come up with the piece of the puzzle I need.  

And for knitting, I am still working on the mystery knit-along wrap.  Here is how it looked yesterday.  There are 2 identical pieces like this that will eventually be joined to become a rectangle in the next 2 clues.  It is fun, but it is getting tedious to knit on one triangle and then immediately repeat it on the second.  I will be ready for something different when the next clue comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment