Pages


Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Really Big News!

A trip to the pond on a warm fall day still makes this dog smile


I have probably the biggest news I could possibly have, so I think I will start with that.  Right before Labor Day weekend, older son, Ian, who lives in Oregon, called with news that he and his wife Michelle are expecting a baby!  I was literally speechless.  They have been together for about 8 years now, I think, and got married just a year ago in June.  They had told us that children just wouldn't fit into their lifestyle, and we accepted that as their decision.  It seems they changed their minds on that and did not tell anyone.  Michelle is a few years older than Ian, so they kept it to themselves in case it never happened.  I have to say, it was so hard to keep this news to myself until I was given the go ahead to tell people, which happened after last week's doctor appointment and ultrasound.  We expect baby in late April 2018.  I am delighted on so many levels!!!  So much knitting and weaving potential here.....

We have been experiencing fall in Ohio at its best.  Bright sunny days with blue skies and warm temperatures dropping into the 40's and even 30's at night, requiring a blanket on the bed.  And yet the hours of daylight are diminishing, so I find myself sleeping a few minutes later in the morning and preparing dinner a little earlier in the evening.  

The leaves are falling and an old dog can warm his bones in the sunshine.  Bow season for deer has opened, so Sam has been spending the last few hours of  daylight in a treestand.  I have spent some time sitting on the deck (still shaded) doing some spinning.  I love spinning outside in the fall.  It is just too hot to do so in the summer.   I have also been working on garden clean-up, gathering the squash and pumpkins and pulling the vines and weeds.  Which reminds me, I need to plant garlic soon.



Grover and I attended one day of an agility trial in Columbus this past weekend.  We had 4 runs and only Q'd in one of them.  It was a class we have never run in before, Premier Jumpers.  Our other runs were good, but it only takes one little error to NQ....but a fun day regardless.  That was Friday and on Sunday we went to a Seminar on course analysis at Incredipaws, a wonderful agility training facility just east of Columbus, with several of our POTC club-mates.  It was great fun and very informative and I hope we can arrange something like that again.   

Monday Grover and I went for a hike at one of our favorite local spots, Lamping Homestead.  We had the entire place to ourselves, though normally there are very few people there.  It is kind of off the beaten path.  I love it.  

Rowdy is no longer able to do many of the things he loved doing.  Between his arthritis and his illness, he is not the dog he once was.  Even short walks are really hard on him and he hardly leaves the yard anymore.  He does still get very excited to see Sam and me when we come home and he still "talks" to us when he wants something, usually treats.  



Yesterday I  loaded him and Grover into the buggy and took them up to the pond for an hour or so.  We wandered around the pond and went for a walk in the hayfield and Grover went for a swim.  I took lots of photos, and got a couple I really like of Rowdy.  He used to be so much fun to photograph, he seemed to know when I got the camera out what I wanted him to do.  It's harder now to get that great shot, but he's still one of my favorite subjects.

 Sam is heading out next week with his brother for an elk hunt in Colorado.  It has been several years since they went and even longer since Sam brought home an elk.  Since I am using venison in large quantities lately for dog food, an elk for the freezer will be very welcome.  And of course it is delicious, so I'd really, really like Sam to bring one home.  Mom will be coming  out for  a few days to keep me company while Sam is away.  I hope the good weather continues.

As for fiber-y content this week, I have warped my small loom for some Christmas towels, which I have neglected to photograph.  I am in the process of warping my rug loom for a couple of rugs and I have completed the finishing on the overshot pillows and photographed them.  They came out really nice.  They are for sale, though I have a friend who may want the lighter colored ones.  These are 16" square (approximately).


I also knit a hat for Sam for his birthday.  He is a home-brewer, so I planned out a beer-themed hat.  I am happy with it except that the lettering color is too close in value to the hat color and therefore hard to read.  It says "Just Brew It".  I should have made the background white....





And I made a hat for one of my agility friends who also does herding with one of her border collies.  Look carefully and you can see that there are two border collies in among the sheep, sitting with their backs to us.  I made them with markings just like Missy's dogs.  I gave her the hat last  night at agility class and I think it went over pretty well.  I love it when I can make something for someone that I can tell they really like.  I told her she can take the pom pom off if she wants.  I know now everyone is a pom pom person and that one came out bigger than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment